Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Property Price Tag.. valuable lesson

I dont know how and from where but I always find myself in a situation where friends would seek my "help" to let-go their properties or buying for that matter... For the past 8 years or so, I think I have dealt with more than 50 houses either buying or selling.. for self or for others.. hmm.. I should have change my profession to be a Property Agent instead of being Kulikoperat for the rest of my life.. hahaha..

Recently I was asked by a friend to sell his double-storey link house. After few minutes of chatting to find out his reason for selling I ask him what's his desired price. Confidently he say RM600K or above!!

I was flabbergasted.. knowing the area.. at the most he can fetch for his double-storey intermediate link house is roughly around RM450K.. or RM500K if the buyer is crazy enough about the house.. but RM600K.. hmm.. I told him that the price is a bit ambitious but he insisted that his house should be of that value.. He told me that recently he had done up RM200K to refurbish and renovate the house and thus justified the price tag of RM600K above. I was amazed by the amount of money he actually spend to done up the house. Curiosity hit me.. it hit me hard.. so I went to visit him (err.. the house actually).. The house is too prominent not to be noticed.. However, it looks very odd when I compare to other houses in the same residential area.. it looks like a thin bungalow being sandwiched by 2 terrace houses.. He showed me around and proudly pointed out to the teak door.. expensive decor.. the Italian tiles.. marbles.. bla bla bla.. 

After taking some pictures.. I give him my thoughts and told him that this is not my forte.. he would be more successful if he engage a professional real estate agent.. I told him point blank that I normally sell properties which I personally will purchase if I had the money.. coz most of my "buyers" are my friends who think alike.. If I am not convinced.. chances I can never sell... 

I ask him why he wanted to sell the house after all the money spend? After long chat.. I finally realised his real reason when he told me that this year alone he had experienced 2 break-in and 1 attempted burglary.. He was lucky that when it happened the family was not at home.. He doesn't feel safe anymore.. and decide to sell off the house and stayed in a condominium... I looked again at the house.. and I dont feel surprised with my friend experiences.. The house is too outstanding compared to the other houses.. If I am the burglar.. I would not have to think hard to find a target.. the house would be an ideal target.. 

Even though I did not make anything from this venture.. but I learn a valuable lesson.. If you have extra $$ and wish to renovate your existing house.. do it moderately.. dont let your house "shouting" to the potential burglar out there that you've loads of $$. If you cant handle your desire to live in a mansion due to your excess cash.. you should consider buying a better property in a better neighborhood. Your house in the new neighborhood may not be the biggest or the most "prettiest" house.. but at least you will have a good night sleep as the probability of your house being targeted by the robbers is as good as other house in the neighborhood...

Ohh by the way.. 3 months had passed and my friend still cant sell the house

No comments:

Post a Comment